In the book of John, chapter 3, verses 3-7 we read:
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Jesus answered, Verily, verily I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.That which is born of flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.Marvel not that I said unto thee,Ye must be born again.
Jesus tells us here that there must be a rebirth, a second birth. What follows on this page is the simple plan of salvation. So simple, even a child can understand.
- ALL HAVE SINNED - Romans 3:23 says, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". And Isaiah 53:6 says, "All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned everyone to his own way..." We must realize that it is impossible for any of us to live a good enough life to please God. He is holy and righteous, and our righteousness compared to His is "as filthy rags".
- SIN'S PENALTY - Romans 6:23 states, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Hebrews 9:27 says, "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement". Second, we must realize that not only have we sinned, but sin has it's penalty. That penalty is judgement, spiritual death, and separation from God in a place called hell.
- MUST CONFESS - 1st John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins." To confess means to admit, and repent means to turn from. Repentance follows true confession. Confession without repentance is meaningless to God.
- CHRIST PAID THE PENALTY - John 3:16 is the most beautiful verse in the Bible, and it states, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." Even though each one of us has sinned, Jesus took our sins to the cross and died in our place. Now we don't have to die and spend eternity in hell (perish), IF we accept what He did on the cross to save us. How do we do that? Read on...
- SALVATION NOT BY WORKS - This is where the devil is so cunning in deceiving so many people. The Bible says in Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by GRACE ye are saved through FAITH, and that not of yourselves, it is the GIFT of God, not of works, lest any man should boast". Meditate on this verse for awhile, will you? We cannot please God enough by our good works in order to make it to heaven. Many people say, "I'm a pretty good person, I don't lie, cheat or steal, I don't curse, I go to church, I sing in the choir, I give money to good causes, etc., so I'll probably make it to heaven when I die". Not so. If that were true, then Jesus would have died on the cross for no reason. Ephesians 2:8-9 above says that it is the GIFT of God, lest any man should boast. If we could be good enough, we could brag on what we did or didn't do to make it to heaven. A GIFT means no payment is due. Salvation is given to us FREE, all we have to do is accept it. Here's how to receive that gift....
- YOU MUST RECEIVE CHRIST - This is where Jesus becomes someone you know personally, rather than just someone you know about. So far from what you have read above, you may have the knowledge that it takes to be saved, but "head knowledge" is not enough. As we read in the Bible, even Satan acknowledged that Jesus was the Son of God when he tried to tempt Jesus. But I am sure that Satan will not be in heaven! So, how does one transfer that "head knowledge" into "heart knowledge"? In Revelation 3:20 Jesus says, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in, and I will fellowship with him, and he with me." Here we picture Jesus standing outside the door of your heart, and He's knocking because He wants to come in. Now it's time to reach out and accept that free gift! Maybe you feel like you are too dirty or too sinful or have too many bad habits to come to Him now. You may feel ashamed to call on Him. Ahhh, remember, righteousness is what begins to happen AFTER He comes into your heart. That's why I love the old hymn, Just As I Am. God wants you to come to Him just as you are. Don't try to get this straight first or quit this habit or that habit. He will help you to overcome whatever it is in your life that you are struggling with. There is NO sin that he won't forgive, and salvation is for WHOSOEVER as John 3:16 states. So why not take Him at his word? Pray a prayer right now in your own words or even this one:
Prayer of salvation:
God, I know that I am a sinner, that I have not lived a life that is pleasing to you. I am sorry for my sins. I believe that you died on the cross to save me from my sins, and I want you to come into my life now and live your life through me. I want you to be Lord of my life, to show me how you would have me to live and give me the power to overcome the sins in my life that keep us apart.
If you prayed that prayer, or a similar one, and it was heartfelt, then mark this day down, because it is your second birthday. Jesus lives in your heart now, and there is a verse you need to remember, because it is the evidence of salvation. It is II Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; Old things are passed away, behold, all things are become new.
If your decision was from the heart, then you will see a definite difference in your attitudes, desires, and actions. You will find yourself hungering for the things of God. Your language will change. Your countenance will change. It is truly a miracle, the changed life that occurs when someone is truly born again.
Now, the bible states that you begin your new birth as a Christian just as you began life in this world - as a baby. It is important that you get into a good, Bible believing church where you can learn of the things of God and grow in knowledge and understanding of His perfect truths. Also, It's imortant to be around other Christians who can help you in your new walk.
If you have any questions, or if you accept Christ, please message us or call, so we can pray for you!